Imagining the worst.

These days I am trying writing. I have tried a very Small fiction. Please excuse me for any improper grammar or vocab, in case you find some :-)

“Put it on silent” ordered Mrs. Mathur as she talked to a friend over the phone. Preeti didn’t say anything. Instead she threw the remote on the bed and left the room. Mrs Mathur saw the rebellious streak yet again but kept her cool and continued her telephone conversation. She and Preeti were not on talking terms for a week now.
As she hung up, she went to her room and knocked.
“Who is it” Preeti said sharply, fully aware that only the two were home.
“Open the door, Preeti. You know it’s me”.
“What do you want?” furiously she asked as she swung open the door a minute later. Before Mrs. Mathur could utter a word, she slammed the door hard behind her and shut herself in drawing room. Mrs. Mathur wanted to shake her but she knew that things would only get worse if she did anything then so she went to kitchen instead to do some chores.
It had been a week since she had got to know about Preeti’s boyfriend Karan.
“What? Really?” She heard Preeti shouting happily over the phone. “Must be that Karan again”, she thought to herself.
“Let me just check it. Hold” she heard Preeti again.
Though she knew enough of etiquettes but couldn't help herself going to the drawing room and placing her ear on the door.
“Yeah I have got the contract. Will sign it. Thank you”. Preety was saying.
“Has she taken a job? What if she is moving in with Karan? Living In??” A thousand thoughts were running through her mind. “ I have to talk to her” she decided hurriedly and rushed in.
“Oh mom!” Preeti hugged her tightly. “Guess what?” Her eyes were lit with joy.
Mrs. Mathur was totally confused. “What happened D-D-Daa-Darling” the last word was muttered in a low pitch as utter confusion ran through her mind.
 “I am on Print“. Preeti literally danced.
“What printt….?” Words barely came out from Mrs. Mathur’s mouth.
“The poems, Mom. They have selected them. I have got the contract.”
Mrs Mathur gave her a tight hug back. And as Preeti ran to grab her mobile and call her friends, she shook her head with smile. We parents sometimes imagine the worst”. 



Tell me how is it? Sorry, if you were looking for something extra-ordinary or ultra-dramatic. I just wanted to capture a small scene. :-)

(c) 2012 priyaa arora

Like my page On Facebook HERE

Comments

  1. Exscellent story. I liked it. This will be a lesson for all the parents and teach them not to assume anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for being the first one to comment, as always :-)
      ummm...actually i didn't want to show a lesson-thing here, I just wanted to capture a sweet misunderstanding..... But i liked the way you perceived it...I am taking it as my successful attempt at creating fiction :-)

      Delete
    2. There are some magazines that publish "one page story". This one fits right into that. May be you should consider sending to these magazines.

      Delete
  2. Nice one Priyaa with a quick turn of events in the end!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.. :-) I'd like to hear what you have to say. I hope you have something nice! :-) Feel free to leave *long* comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

For Love (Or Not) Of Books...

I write because....

Words that were not said, but understood!!!