I write because....

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

Chosen among the Loved posts!!
"Again you are scribbling..Can't you put your nose off your books and papers for sometime?" my mother snaps at me as I scribble a poem.
"Oh ma! Atleast listen to what I wrote"
"Hmm...tell"
"Ahmm ahmm" I pretend to clear my throat and My mum laughs back.
"Will you open your mouth or should I go back to kitchen?"
"Oh!No-no please!" I say quickly and grab her by elbow. Who doesn't want audience? ;)
Listen,"

Life's unpredictable,
Can't say when it would take a turn.
We can't really say,
When life might be deprived of all fun.
It's true,
What elders say,
You should know to walk alone;
No matter 
Come what may.

She smiles and looks at me for some time curiously. "You write well and what you've written is indeed true."
"Hmm.."I smile back and think about the depth of what I've written.

"Hey, I'm back" yells my cousin from the stairs who's been staying with us for two days and had gone to meet other relatives who live nearby.
"Hey, How was the day? How's Pummy Masi? You two chat while I finish preparing dinner.",says my mother to my cousin and quickly returns to the kitchen.

Later after Dinner, My cousin, Ikshita lays in bed while I punch the paper in which I scribbled my poem and put it in a file. As she spots it, she asks about it and I have another audience. She says she likes it and i am truly elated. I tell her that I didn't realize the depth while writing it but when Mom heard it, she found it thoughtful.

She asks, " Why do you write, Muskan?"

Till sometimes back, I'd have gladly said that because Writing to me is something that I like. But I have a different answer to it which I have realized after continuous writing.
"To understand. To discover myself"



She looks not exactly puzzled but in a thoughtful tone, she asks,"How?"

And I tell her...

"You know what Ikshu when I write, one of three things happen."
"hmm",she nods and I continue.

"Sometimes what I write is exactly me and I know it perfectly about myself.
Sometimes what I write is me, but I am not aware of it. As in I am not aware of myself.
And Sometimes, what I write is just not me at all. By no means. Its just a projection of what I have heard, read or perhaps seen in movies. That's just not me.
I really have discovered and understood a great deal of myself through writing."

She listens patiently and I feel so light as this is something I had been longing to share with someone. "You don't write?" I ask.


"I do. But only business mails you see", she chuckles and we both laugh though deep down we both know that she does and is not comfortable sharing it. and I do not lag as it might be something personal.

We all write for different reasons, like....to share or to be aware.  But at last, I guess all of us benefit from it in some way or the other. What do you say?? Why do you write??

(c)2013 Priyaa Arora

It is a fiction. I never had such conversation with mother or any cousin. But the poem is indeed mine and Muskan does say a lot for me. :) So I am labeling it both fiction and personal ;)
And ya, Do tell me what do you think?

This post is also active on indivine. Vote for it HERE

Like my page On Facebook HERE

Comments

  1. An interesting take on writing! You won't believe, I have been thinking of my reasons to write from past few days and I'll be sharing that in a poem in some time :-)

    Its a pleasure to write, truly. That one thing that's yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pleasure indeed....Would love to read yours...:-)
      Welcome to Happy Moments... :-)

      Delete
  2. Nothing will stay with us all our life time. Even our shadow leaves when there is no light.
    Nicely written poem.

    I write because there are so many thoughts in my mind inside and i want to release it outside. We all choose what ever medium we are good at poetry, story, video, audio. you choose writing poetry.

    I have written some stories, if you have time check it out.link

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy writing because it is the way I express myself. I write to gain clarity on my own thoughts. I write to express my views. I write when I have no one to talk to - the paper and the pen that I hold, in those moments, become my best friends :) :)

    Enjoyed reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, resort to writing whenever the goings-on in life become tough. Nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute post, the way you make your ideas flow is impeccable indeed. :) Beautiful post. This is a win-win entry no doubt, take care dear !! :) Keep Writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nachi. I'll surely check out your link. Yes, some of us are more comfortable with some mediums than others, Even painting and dance also.
    Read my this post :http://meintheblogosphere.blogspot.in/2012/12/in-philosophical-mood.html

    Thank you Divya. Gaining clarity is one of my reasons also. Pen and Paper inded become our best friends at such lonely times :)

    Thank you Akash and Tarang Sinha :) :)


    ReplyDelete
  7. cute writing.. nice poem too.. interesting read..

    ReplyDelete
  8. a lovely post Priyaa :) nice read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of us have our own reasons to write and whatever it is the spirit of good writing should prevail. :) A very sweet and heart warming post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arumugam Easwas : Thank you :) Surely!! Writing does help a lot whenever the going on becomes tough...

    Tanya Sehgal Aww...thanks a lot for your wishes... :-) :-)

    a Rat Thank you :-) keep visiting :)

    Saurabh Chawala Thank you :) and thanks for '+1' too :)

    Saru : Thank you :) May the spirit of good writing prevail forever.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. writing for the sheer joy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very warm and honest post ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post.
    I write because I have poor memory. Hence, you will see me writing shopping lists,to-do lists, do not forget lists etc etc etc!
    Like you said, we all have our reasons!

    http://reekycoleslaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Akila Indeed :)
    Nabanita: Thank you :)
    Rickie Hehe...yeah that could be one reason...I also do write to remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's awesome you have this way to express what you have inside and need to share!!! :)

    Http://irenehsteel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it.. Its partly fiction btw :-)

      Delete
  16. Lovely post! That is indeed a deep expression of thought :)
    I louveedd those lines in italics! :D Oh My God wonderful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. (I think my comment just went missing)
    Lovely post! Those lines in italics- I love them the most! Wonderful :D You just mentioned what I feel. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love those lines ashna (excuse me for self praising :P) But really :) :)

      Delete
  18. Priyaa di, beautiful lines :) And a really excellent post!

    Tell you what, the question 'why do you write?' always keeps me thinking for a long time. Because writing to me is something is beyond a hobby or mere expression. It's something that very well incorporates all aspects of my being: thoughts or philosophy, cribbing or recounting or just a mundane something. So, I think I'll get back to you on this question ;)

    Now on your poem: life is indeed uncertain, and it's better that we learn to walk alone, the sooner, the less painful. When you realize that, somehow, it gets easier to live with the fact that it's just you and well I may as well say, you and your words. This, I guess is the only constant in the dynamics of life.

    And yes of course, I'd like to quote you here: "I always find something to connect to... Your words, my feelings." :) Take care!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.. :-) I'd like to hear what you have to say. I hope you have something nice! :-) Feel free to leave *long* comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

For Love (Or Not) Of Books...

Words that were not said, but understood!!!