Tobermory - My version!

Most of us have read the short story, ‘Tobermory’ by British author,Hector Hugh Munro (Saki).


As part of a small creative writing course that I had taken, we were asked to pen down a 600-word first person narrative by any character of the story ‘Tobermory’. I have chosen to be a guest at the party.


I am standing at the Basement hall of Green Lounge party hall where Lady Blemely has thrown her party. The party is boring, most of the guests are old, food is okay and there is absolutely nothing that allures me to stay. In short, I am leaving. Although Mr. Appin has made all attempts to make this party interesting by announcing that he can make animals talk and his first pupil is none other than Lady Blemely’s own pet, Tobermory, but who doesn’t know him and his poor gimmicks. So I make my way to exit but I hear a female voice calling me from behind.
“Hey handsome! Leaving so early?” I am astonished at this sensuous voice as up till now, I didn’t encounter any young woman here in the party.
“Turn back” I hear the voice again.

I can’t believe what I have just witnessed. All the guests present too are stunned. CAN YOU BELIEVE? It’s Tobermory. She is speaking like us humans.

“Won’t you see the show?” she winks. Tobermory is addressing me and actually all the guests at the party in her impish voice. She walks down the stairs with her tail waving and reach Lady Blemely who too is shocked at the revelation.

 “Tobermory, would you like to tell us something about the party or its people?” Mr. Appin is showing off that it is him who taught Tobermory and is trying to act like a master.
“Don’t you interrupt while I speak” Tobermory retorts, “I won’t say what you told me to speak.”

 Mr. Appin is shocked to see Tobermory speak like that and she, addressing the guests, adds in a mischievous voice “Actually he wanted me to make you all laugh by telling that Mrs. Plum wants to date Miss Blemely’s boyfriend”

“How boring!” she turns to Mr. Appins, “I am not here for a puppet show”

All the eyes set on Mr. Appin and he winces as his intentions are out in open.
Mrs. Plum is angrily looking at Mr. Appin but I feel she is deeply surprised at how he came to know of that. Her 13 year old daughter is averting her eyes from everybody and is looking down.

“By the way, your necklace is pretty” Tobermory says, regaining our attention, to Mrs.Blenn who is smiling now and is preparing to say a ‘thank you’ but is taken aback when Tobermory adds “If only you could tell the shop where such bright artificial diamonds are sold at 10$ only.”

Mrs. Blenn who was stealing the show till now with her diamonds and telling everyone stories about how and when her husband gave her the expensive neck piece, has turned pale and looking at Tobermory with pleading  eyes now as if to asking ‘why me’.

People laugh. I am smiling too. Lady Blemely, realizing the way this evening is taking turn, tries to regain composure and orders Tobermory to stop “This is what I’ve taught you?”,her eyes wide and gestures indicating Tobermory to leave.

“I’ve seen you placing your ears at people’s doors enough times. Don’t you mess with me.”Tobermory has not even spared Lady Blemely, who is now regretting her words.

I see Tobermory approaching me. I am not sure what’s on her mind. As she reaches my leg, I kick her hard and she rolls down to the side. I hear her moaning.

 “SHAMELESS CAT” I say, quite loudly. People pretend to take my side. The party returns to normal as if nothing has happened.

I turn back and make my way to exit. I sit in my car and take a deep breath. “God, I am saved!”


Any Feedback is Welcome. :-)

(c) Priyaa Arora

Like my page On Facebook HERE

Comments

  1. Very well written. Kudos to you. What is the moral? When you give a party, don't allow your pets to mingle with the guests. HaHaHa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...whichever way you take it :-) I also tried to show that humans have their own fears and biases, which the narrator showed in the end.

      Delete
  2. :D This is so cool! I really like the idea of writing a first person narrative of any character in a book, or a story. I haven't read Tobermory, but I still understood the theme, because of this wonderfully narrated post. It's so good! You should write more such stuff! :D

    You were too cool for even Tobermory, though? Haha! :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.. :-) I'd like to hear what you have to say. I hope you have something nice! :-) Feel free to leave *long* comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

For Love (Or Not) Of Books...

I write because....

Words that were not said, but understood!!!