For Love (Or Not) Of Books...

I remember the time in 2012, January or February, when I began reading, I was so hungry for books. I would spend the whole day reading. And the books I read then, I still remember the story, some lines even today. I used to have at the most three unread books at a time, not starting a book until I was done with the one I was reading. I might not have read many, but that was better. Slowly I developed a mania, not exactly of reading but of purchasing and collecting.

Collecting books is a hobby, even an obsession but I am not against that. But I am against piling up unread books one over the other onto the bookshelf. It’s a pure disregard. Or may be it doesn't work for me!

I just hate my bookshelf these days. It’s having so many good books yet I am not reading any. In fact, even if I am reading, I have realised that it’s more to finish a book than to read.

I am in the middle of four books this time. It sucks you know.

Leave. So, no more purchases. And I am not reading any book. I am removing the book marks from all. And I am putting all of them inside the cupboard, so that I cannot see them. And I’ll read them only when I’ll genuinely like to.

Isn’t it very..umm...obvious? I mean you should read whenever you feel like. Why I am making such a big deal out of it. Perhaps I am really...PISSED. OFF.

Anyways, feeling better!

So to make this post meaningful and worth reading for you, I am listing a few books that I read and not just finished, and really liked.

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom:  Almost all of you must have read Tuesdays with Morrie. ( I haven’t). But I know that’s a wonderful book. And The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom is one I really really liked. The synopsis can be read here. I liked the book, not just because of the fable, but also because of the writing style. It’s a book worth reading. Both the story and the message is awesome.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand: Though Controversial, the books actually makes sense 90% of time. It’s the first classic that I read and it’s not only about the fact that a man’s ego is the fountainhead of human development but also the deep insights into human psychology, economy and society is brilliant. I don’t know how much right I am in saying so, but this book inspired a lot many Bollywood movies of 1970-80.

I ordered both Atlas shrugged and The Fountainhead together. Atlas shrugged is still unread on my shelf.

Looking For Alaska by John Green: I absolutely feel grateful for the day when my friend suggested me this book. This is one book I absolutely love. I love the philosophy and the writing style. I was so immersed in this book while reading, that when a great twist happened, I literally shouted and texted my friend OMG so and so happened. I am reading TFIOS these days. I have liked it so far, but as I said, I am finishing books these days and not really reading, so I might stop right away and take up only if I genuinely feel like. Most people like TFIOS better than Looking for Alaska but until now, I liked Looking for Alaska better, though TFIOS is good too. By the way, TFIOS is The Fault In Our Stars.

Anyways, A particular paragraph that I love from Looking for Alaska and still remember is:

And what is this ‘instant’ death anyway? How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful as her heart burst and her lungs collapsed and there was no air and no blood to her brain and raw panic. What the hell is this ‘instant’ Nothing is instant. Instant rice takes five minutes, instant pudding an hour. I doubt that an instant of binding pain ‘feels’ particularly instantaneous.
I actually hunted for the paragraph in the book and I feel like re-reading it. Great!


A sentence that is not off my mind, btw, from TFIOS--"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt."

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: Well, no introduction needed. Even those, who do not like Paulo Coelho much, will like this book most probably. I haven’t read all of him but I like Eleven Minutes, hated The Zahir (perhaps the writing style put me off, I’ll take it sometime later) and loved Aleph, perhaps because it introduced me to the very concept of the Aleph.
I feel the list deserved Aleph more than The Alchemist. But never mind. I like both. The Alchemist doesn’t need its best lines to be told. The book is a legend in itself.

Blogging here after so many days. But thankfully not a filler post. I actually had something to say and I am able to say it. Once again- Great!!!

Happy Moments :-)


Like this post? Like my page on facebook Here for updates. :)

Comments

  1. Superb post, Priyaa..!! I just love you writing.. specially that "instant" paragraph was awesome... Great lines..!! Great post...
    Rocking..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot,Aayush!! Your words are always encouraging :-)
      PS- I too like your writing, only that I am not able read much blogs these days.

      Delete
  2. Awesome post! :D

    I can't say anything about having unread books. At least, I wouldn't agree 100%, being self-defensive :P When you have books you haven't read, it's not really disregard for them, though I do understand what you mean. Maybe it's the way you look at them? I feel ecstatic just looking at them and it's pure pleasure to be able to stand in front of the shelf, browse for something for the night and maybe read from in between sometimes. I love the feeling from collected books. I'm never putting them in any cupboard, out of sight! :P

    I too, liked Looking for Alaska better! :D These books are weirdly awesome. You recommended The Fountainhead to me, I still haven't read it. Right now I'm going for light reads that help me sail through these hectic months. It's on my list! The Alchemist! -_- Okay, I'll try to read Paulo Coelho again. Okay.

    I so feel like book-buying right now. :| Quite an effective post! :D Loved reading this! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even before I published this, I had right inside my mind that U would say this :D !
      I totally understand your point. May be it just doesn't work for me! I like having few books an read them properly, even re-reading them over again! I know you'd never put them in cup board ;-)
      Don't worry our ways are different but both of us love books, I know!
      U'll like the alchemist, can't say about others...

      Thanks by the way..I am gonna edit the post and add this sentence "may be it doesn't work for me!"
      Thanks for reading and such a long comment...makes me feel somebody actually reads the posts. ^_^

      Delete
  3. I have at least 30 unread book, so I know the pressure of reading.

    btw, I loved The Zahir. And, you should try finishing The Fountainhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Fountainhead and loved it! Atlas Shrugged stands unread on my shelf! :)

      Delete
  4. Super post Priyaa. Nothing wrong with being a bibliophile. I like Looking for Alaska. The book deserves the award (Michael L. Printz award) it won.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow That is a lot of reading, Priyaa:) I am yet to learn the art of reading more than one book at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One book at a time, Rahul uncle! Thats the best. :)

      Delete
  6. I can relate so close to it, just a difference that I can't read books in parallel. As in, I pick one only after completing the previous one. But the mania of accumulating the books hit me too. At a point i had over 12 books to be read in my shelf and it ended up that i was just reading to finish and clear my shelf. I look at the shelf was depressing too.

    Now i try not to buy books before i finish all the accumulated ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I feel that books shouldn't be read in parallel...I can read non fictions in parallel (that too not very often)...Only this time I am doing it with fictions and non fictions alike. You do it right...one book at a time is the best...
      Glad to know you understood what i said....
      I have also stopped buying for the moment. :-)
      Please visit more often..You profile not accessible..would love to read your blog :-)
      Happy Moments :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.. :-) I'd like to hear what you have to say. I hope you have something nice! :-) Feel free to leave *long* comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

I write because....

Words that were not said, but understood!!!